High Profile Cases
Based in Salt Lake City, Bugden & Isaacson, L.L.C., represents clients in a range of criminal and civil trial matters throughout the state of Utah. Some of our high profile cases are highlighted below. To speak with one of our experienced attorneys, call us today at (801) 467-1700.
In September 2007, we represented Warren Jeffs, the leader of the FLDS church, on charges of Accomplice to Rape in Washington County.
We successfully challenged the jury’s verdict on appeal. The Utah Supreme Court reversed Mr. Jeff’s conviction and remanded for a new trial on July 27, 2010. The State abandoned the prosecution against Mr. Jeffs and the case was dismissed in 2011.
A link to the court opinion:
Additional media reports regarding the reversal
New York Times article about the trial in 2007
NPR coverage of cross-examination by Ms. Isaacson at trial
Salt Lake Tribune coverage
- Fox News coverage of the Warren Jeffs trial
- Our oral argument before the Utah Supreme Court, covered by Trent Nelson, Chief Photographer at The Salt Lake Tribune
Listen to Mr. Bugden present oral argument to the Utah Supreme Court on November 3, 2009
Dr. Robert Weitzel
In November 2002, we represented Dr. Robert Weitzel. The State accused Dr. Weitzel of criminally causing the death of patients in his care. The case was profiled by “60 Minutes” in March 2002. After a three-week trial, including testimony from renowned experts in palliative and end of life care, Dr. Weitzel was acquitted of all charges.
Other High Profile Cases
- Ms. Riverton Case
- Moab Police Officer Assault Case
- Salt Lake City prosecutor dismisses charges against gay couple
- Tooele sex abuse case
- Preliminary hearing for nurse in attempted murder case
- BYU swimmers case
- Dinosaur Footprint Case in Moab
- Charges Dismissed in Baby Your Baby Case
- Capitol 13 Protestors Case